Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Madrid: Very First Impressions

snow on train to Madrid
I've been in Madrid exactly a week, and while I haven't seen too much (I've been working full time), I thought it would be valuable to note some of my initial impressions (more like comparisons) while the city is still very new to me. I must note that I feel truly welcome in my new home and am beyond grateful for the next chapter of my travels in this city.

1. Madrid is much bigger than Barcelona. Madrid has the space to grow and expand, whereas Barcelona is constrained by the ocean and mountains.

The Spanish flag? Not a common
site in Catalunya....
2. There are a lot more people. Of course, no where near the level of crowds I experienced in China, but there are a lot more people in the parks, plazas, out for tapas and beers, etc.

3. Things are slightly larger--- Kapital, a club famous among visitors, is seven stories.... while Barcelona's Razzmatazz is only 4 floors.

4. It's much drier in Madrid. Apparently its colder as well, but since it's less humid I really haven't noticed it as much.

5. Parks! Madrid has many large parks full of fountains and trees. I love it... Barcelona is mostly pavement.
A WHITE taxi?!
(Barcelona's are black/yellow)

6. Tapas! In Madrid (and many Spanish cities) you get a tapa when you order a beer or drink at a bar... Not common in Barcelona.

7. Spanish is the language spoken here--no Catalan.

8. Apartment buildings have "porteros". I can't stay everyone has one, but most that I have been to thus far have a 'doorman' that opens the door for the residents, maintains the stairwell and mail slots, deals with electricity and plumbing and assists residents. He usually lives downstairs in a small residence with his family.

9. Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid. Apparently Franco once used Real Madrid as a huge public affairs tool to increase national pride. Their write jersey's represent "purity", as in pure Spaniards... I prefer Barca's Blue and Red stripes myself.....

10. There's no ocean... I need a "Madridoneta"!! (You probably didn't understand that if you've never heard of Barceloneta)


Parque del Retiro
Bottom Floor of Kapital

No comments:

Post a Comment