Sunday, March 6, 2011

Carnaval en Cadiz


I feel like my weekend in Cadiz needs a few disclaimers:
1. I went with in an organized group, EuropeanVibe, which is very unlike me and not my usual way of doing things. It was all Americans, but since I went with my Puerto Rican friend Giovanna, I was on the Puerto Rican bus and social circle... far more exciting.
2. It was a 7+ hour bus ride and our hotel was 30 minutes outside of the city, so in reality did we see much of Cadiz? No, not at all.
3. Carnaval is a week long event, with parades and celebrations and shows and events. I was there one night, so obviously what I saw was very limited to what exists, but I enjoyed 'el botellon' nonetheless.
4. Sometimes its nice to be taken care of. By this I mean, it was relaxing to go somewhere and be with friends, without a worry about where to go, how to get there, or safety concerns.







So what did I learn?
1. The male sex, no matter where in the world, genuinely shares an interest in dressing up like women. I saw many, many different costumes, but the majority revolved around men dressed in some type of dress or female character. Men just love the idea of having boobs-- like they say, you want what you can't (well, don't) have.
2. I need to go back to Cadiz. I saw water and my heart leaped. But there was water on both sides, I looked to me left, and there was ocean at the end of the alley, and I looked to the right and in the distance there was ocean too. Now that, is what I like to see.
3. I have more fun with Puerto Ricans than I do with Americans.
4. Cigarettes are very, very bad for you.
5. People's eyes light up when you say you're from San Francisco, and I mean it. Spaniards react differently to San Francisco than they do to Los Angeles, NYC, or Chicago.




No comments:

Post a Comment