Monday, January 14, 2013

Enjoyed Theroux in NYTimes

Really enjoyed this quick piece by Paul Theroux....

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/travel/paul-therouxs-travel-wish-list.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&src=dayp

Particularly this paragraph... I just never really thought of it in that way before...

"The ultimate travel fantasies are, of course, unattainable. William S. Burroughs said in the 1950s, “What I want for dinner is a bass fished in Lake Huron in 1920.” In that spirit, I’d like to spend a Sunday in the West Medford of 1951, play bocce with my grandfather and eat some of my grandmother Angelina’s tortellini; I want to revisit the jolly bazaars of the Peshawar of 1973, the hopeful Nyasaland of 1964, the bike-riding China of 1980 (no private cars on the empty roads), and while I’m at it, I would like to return to the Borneo of the 1960s and again climb Mount Kinabalu."

Personally, I would want to go to church and then eat lunch with my grandparents in Spain. Or I'd want to work in the fields with my grandpa. I'd want to be surrounded by the activists of the 1960s in Berkeley. Travelling history... what a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment