Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Today I'm in DC

Today, I love it. I did yesterday too. And I will tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.

I live by a big river. I live near running trails, trees, and metro transportation. There will always be a film screening, book reading, or new exhibit opening on any given day of the week. Actually, make that any given time of day. There is live music and plenty of brunch spots. There are people speaking all different languages. I've never seen so many 13.1, 26.2 or triathlon bumper stickers. And I have to admit, somehow, the monuments just don't get old.

I left California and the City by the Bay almost ten months ago. I miss it. But I'm absolutely okay with where I am right now. Moving away, something I've always found thrill in, is liberating. It's an excuse to trying new things and not have too many commitments keeping you from it. I'm almost feeling too entrenched already. But that's the fun of a new place, getting to the point where you have your group of friends, your weekly routine, your favorite spots, and become... well, somewhat entrenched. Washington DC, no matter what people from San Francisco or Manhattan or Boston may say, is pretty freaking great.

I love that there are always people working out. Running, biking, swimming, walking. They are out there, they are go getters. I also love that there are so many different types of people. It's diverse. Not just racially. But jobs, walks of life... goals, wishes, and aspirations. I love that it is close to so much. A few hours away from NYC or Charlotte, NC. I can drive to the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia. I can also drive to the beach and Chesapeake Bay. The Mid-Atlantic is driving distance from everywhere.

DC is where I learned to truly appreciate those that serve this country. It forced me to think about what it means to be of this Nation. I was born here. And never before did I truly accept how many people want to be citizens, a right I received without DESIRING it. A title I didn't CHOOSE or go out of my way to receive--unlike many who must actively seek that right. I believe there is power in that. Something I hadn't thought about much.

I love watching DC-based TV shows. Homeland, House of Cards, West Wing. I now own more blazers and collared shirts than I'd like to admit, a few too many flannels and a pair of some good ol' Sperry's. Yes, I make fun of my wardrobe constantly. When I moved here, a suitcase was either misplaced or stolen-depending on who asks. It was FULL of tie-dye camp shirts and flowy Free People tunics. Apparently the East Coast didn't approve of my previous attire.

I had plans to move to Manhattan a year after moving here. then I pushed it off to 1.5 years. Today, I've decided to push it off to 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment