Thursday, December 23, 2010

NYC in December

5th Avenue, NYC
Is a magical thing. Yes, even when you're alone. I had the privilege of attending an MLT professional development workshop at Goldman Sachs earlier this month and since its a free flight I extended the weekend to stay a night at NYU with my high school friend, Nik Block. Nik and I walked around campus Sunday evening, but with finals looming I let Nik study his brains out and on Monday morning headed the subway to downtown 5th Ave on my own . Unfortunately, the Met is closed Mondays, but I was satisfied just window shopping in the cold morning flurries. I was cozy in my two jackets, scarf, gloves, boots and a starbucks chai latte in hand. I started at the Rockefeller Center and watched people ice skate. I looked at the christmas tree. I took in the falling snow flurries, the tourists, the christmas music and cheer. I walked through the huge stores. Anthropologie was bigger than I've ever seen it. J.Crew too. And wait, there was a line outside Abercrombie & Fitch? But why would anyone ever actually shop in these stores? There are lines at the registers, there are lines at the dressing rooms, and there are wayyy too many shoppers everywhere.

Anyways, as I was walking I suddenly got a little lonely. I was so happy to be in New York during the holidays, but I wanted so badly to have someone to share it with.... a parent, or friend, or even stranger! So before I let myself get too lonely I bought a midday ticket to the Radio City Music Hall Christmas performance... the Rockettes! (When I got home I had to be corrected by a few people... its 'roquettes' alicia, not ROCKETS.) Whoops. And no, I had never heard of them before.




They are amazing. Every single one of them is 'perfect'. Not a milli-second off. Completely uniform, trained to perfection and I was very much impressed. The costumes were fun and well the entire show just got me into the holiday spirit and made me appreciative of the city. Plus, I've always heard of the radio city hall, so now I've been there! My ticket was $54 and I was in the fifteenth row! (see, a plus for travelling alone)



I walked to the bottom of Central Park and wanted SO badly to just spend the rest of the day running throughout the park. It still remains one of the dreams... Next time I am in NYC I will not leave without running through that park, mark my words. I finished off the afternoon at the Macy's window displays. They told stories with music and narration and big clay characters that were automated. Definitely not like the Macy's at Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek.... I went inside just to absorb the lights and decorations... oh, the things you do for retail Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment